Sunday, February 21, 2016

Alaskan adventuring

I was back in Alaska staying with some friend and my dad and one of my friends from home came too (let's call her mary since I can't remember who it was.).

We flew into fairbanks knowing we'd only have one day available to us to explore. We drove to another nearby city I hadn't heard of before to stay with my friends there. Really we just used their home bc they were out of town.

They had a boat hanging up and we (mary and i) stayed on the bottom level which like a sunken room.

For part of the day I had to work. I babysat or worked at some daycare for a bit. We played a game of basketball with the kids but they weren't getting it so it was more like lets run around with the ball and try to annoy the teachers.

Eventually we all went back to the house/cabin and it was close to bed time. So we were watching a movie. Then my long time friend Justin came in and cuddled up next to me to watch the movie.

I felt nothing as he did so, though. I thought how strange it was that years ago I tried to tell him we should date but could never find the words. And here he was laying with me on a couch watching a movie, falling asleep, and I felt nothing. It worried me because what if suddenly he felt something? What if he had feelings (which it definitely seemed like) for me that I didn't return?

The next day we were kind of getting ready to leave. My dad was panicking about how far the airport was and I was sad mary wouldn't get to see more of alaska.

Before anything else happened my dad ran outside and said "it can't be!" And we ran outside and the neighbors were there too.

The northern lights were out.  I had waited all my life for this and here they were!

Red and green dancing but looking almost like clouds being blown away too quickly.

It was also strange because it was some part of summer where the sun never fully disappeared. It was a dusky look outside and i wished it were black as midnight so the colors could dance. We watched them regardless and the neighbors wondered if Justin and I were together.  I said no and that was when he had to go run an errand. I asked the same neighbor where we could hike up so mary could see around us and get a taste of Alaska. She pointed to a nearby road that drove up the mountain and mentioned a trail.

Just before justin left there was a huge storm that blew through. It was part of the lights. I kept thinking "I knew it was a type of storm but this..."

It was almost like a tornado ran through. Huge pieces of siding came off houses with nails and a building even collapsed across the street from us. Justin and I froze in place even as I screamed we should go into the basement - like room I wash staying in.

When it ended I asked Justin not to go out in it for whatever he had to do. He kept saying he had to go.

I turned to mary and told her how sorry I was but it was way too dangerous to hike up the mountain in this weather. She seemed disappointed but also okay about it, probably more okay than I was.

We went back into the room where my friend who owned the place and another old friend were hanging out in the other day bed talking.

One was justins Mom and she told me that justin was in love with me. That he always has been and she's told him over and over to do something about it. She asked about my feelings for him and I told her I'd had them years ago but no longer do. I felt nothing but brotherly love towards him.

She was disappointed but understood.

She went to go upstairs for something and the father of the owner of the cabin we were in came down the hall with a hooded sweater on and she about died. I tried to let her know he was behind her, but instead she jumped half way to the roof. It was hilarious.

My dad told us we'd bet leaving soon so I walked to the deck and basically told mary I'd be back soon. My dad was panicking but i had an errand to run.

So I went into town to a little waterfront store (there was this huge crystal blue lake behind the shop).

When I walked in a girl with red curly hair greeted me and asked if I was okay. Prior to walking in I had concocted a story in my head that had made me cry. I told her I truly was that I had just made up a sad story in my head. She thought it was strange but said I had great hair.

I looked around the store and realized most of them had red curly hair. I commented on it and the girl helping me seemed like she had never noticed.

A very tall guy showed up then and as it turns out I knew his long lost sisters and that they were working at this store. Then he cried and I cried with him some.

Then I went and looked at the lake. There weren't swimmers bc the water was icy. But you could see mountains in the background and a small bush plane fly over it. I wished I had brought mary. 

When I left I was running home bc I was late.and it was getting dark.

I was crossing the street when a shriveled old woman was trying to army crawl across the street. She was the size of a 8 month old baby and had as much function in her body. I asked if I could help her up the hill and she said yes. As soon as I picked her up she started shouting at me to put her down.

I put her down where she was trying to go and went on my way.

I finally got home and we went to get in the van.

Mary was in the backseat and I was doing something up front. My dad was going to the bathroom or something and then the car started going. Not just rolling but in a driving gear racing down the very steep and curvy roads.

Mary and I started to panic and I tried to steer as best I could from the passenger seat but when I tried to shift into a lower gear or park the car surge forward and we went faster.

We finally flew off a hill and got stuck on a store front that had some of their beams hanging out a little. The back of out shirts caught and the van crashed elswhere.

I went to try and get down and as I freed myself I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment