Thursday, July 7, 2011

Questioning the Program...

So, I'm reconsidering this cleansing diet...

Here are my reasons:
I don't understand it completely. Even through trying to explain it over and over again to people, I don't get it. Like, I understand trying to give your liver a kick start, but the diet takes out all "allergen foods." Foods like milk, soy products, starches, and tons of other stuff.

Also, with the suggested intake of food, I'm eating less then 1200 calories a day which isn't healthy for women. Women should eat a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day to provide them with sufficient nutrients and energy. I went to work (gardening) the other day and had to leave earlier than I had planned because I wasn't feeling quite right. I had only eaten about 800 calories that day and then tried heavy labor. While I had surpassed my recommended 8 cups of water that day, my calorie intake just wasn't enough.

Lastly, my roommate finds it strange. See, she is a food science major who's mother is a nutritionist. I tried to explain it to her and brought up my concern about not taking the supplements they recommend (you can actually order the whole cleanse package at their website for like $400). I don't have the money to buy supplements and what not so I'm not taking the probiotics and whatever else they recommend with each meal. She told me she is always hesitant to recommend or try things like this because they are trying to make money and they recommend eating less. She said that she's always interested in programs that offer you more eating rather then less since the programs, like this one, recommend eating less then the minimum you should consume daily.

So here's what I'm thinking I will do for the next 18 days. I will continue to drink mostly water and no caffeine or sodas. I will continue to eat 3 meals a day with 2 being a liquid meal. I will continue to eat things with less preservatives or none (i.e. more organic type things as my budget allows). Lastly, I will continue to not eat for 12 hours (8pm-8am).

I don't have food allergens so I don't see why this is a good thing for me to do. I will help out my liver as much as I can by drinking lots of water (which it doesn't have to convert into something else giving it more time to metabolize other things....says my brother/trainer) and by trying to eat things with less preservatives and more protein and fiber. So, for right now, I will continue with "MyFitnessPal" (the app on my phone) to keep track of my weight and what I eat.

Also, on as far as the spiritual cleanse is going, it's going. It's just so difficult for me to sit and have actual QUIET and non-distracted times with Jesus. Some how today I managed to focus a bit on praying. I've been super stressed about this upcoming fall and whether God was still calling me back to my college. I just didn't know. I kept telling people,"Well I need to pray more about it." I haven't been praying about it, so I finally did today. I asked God if I were to go back to school and I felt I should. So, I am publicly letting everyone who reads this know, I will return to school in the fall. What else that entails, I don't know yet. I'm praying more about my extra-curricular activities right now (and I'm actually trying to pray for them).

Oh, and on a more related note to the diet part, I am completely addicted to caffeine. Kind of sucks when you start a detox that says no caffeine.... But, fortunately, my withdrawal symptoms seem to be fading. The headaches are shorter and the energy last a little longer even without the help of my energizing friend.

So, there ya have it. Things are moving along just fine right now. Still trying to cleanse my body of nasty and trying to cleanse my spiritual life of the lazy.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and He does, so I can.
--Maggie Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment