Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Snow, Lights, Planes

My friend amie and I were hanging out when we decided it'd be cool to go and visit Alaska. I'd love to visit my old friends from camp and so we bought plane tickets and headed up there. Turns out amie is from Fairbanks and we stayed with a girl that was once and would become her roommate again.

I was so excited that I might see Alaska at night because I've only ever been there during the middle of summer when the sun doesnt set. I was excited to see the Northern Lights, or at least the possibility of it.

We were at Fred's, the grocery store, and my friend Luna lives next door. So I called her and asked if I could stop by. She enthusiastically said yes. I promised we'd be there in 3 minutes.

Then amie remember something she needed from where she lived because at some pijt she had transitioned to full on living in Fairbanks. So we went to get her stuff and I forgot to tell Luna.

A few hours later I tried to contact Luna but things kept getting in the way. It was supposed to be getting dark soon but it never got more than a dark twilight. I was so confused. I thought we were supposed to experience the blackest night. It was also overcast and it didn't look like I'd get to see the lights. I was disappointed.

I still wanted to see Luna so I asked Amie's friend for directions and told her to keep in mind I was walking or taking the bus. After some talk of renting a car, I just asked to borrow hers. She said sure and handed over the keys.

But instead of getting to go see Luna, we all went to what they called "the native's island." It was said to be where only native Alaskans were to set foot. I didn't know if they realized I wasn't native but I went along anyway.

When we got there it was hard to tell what was thick ice and what might lead you into a lake colder than imaginable. We carefully made our way into the valley where some people were playing football. There was a contest going on. Whatever team won the game would get to compete for a bush plane that one of the oldest and best pilots had owned. He hasn't died and was going to give lessons as well. I dont know why he was giving the plane away. I wanted the plane too so I tried to think of a way that I could win without anyone knowing I wasnt native. I just wanted to talk to the pilot, in the end. So I tried to find him but he was elsewhere.

I kept looking up to see the lights that weren't showing, but I could see a bunch of stars in the purplish sky. The moon was also out, a little more than a half moon. That made me upset about the lights too because I thought the moon would drown them out.

I realized I had to get the plane bc I might be able to fly to where the lights were on full display. I kept searching for the pilot but he was elusive. No one really knew who he was and if you asked someone and you were wrong, you lost the competition. I suspected the old man that was with us. He was a native and I just knew it was him but couldn't bring myself to ask.

And the dream ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment